American Exchange Students Enjoy the Lincoln Experience
Fourth year MPharm student, Georgina, wrote about her experience in welcoming two visiting pharmacy students from Creighton University, Nebraska.
During October and November 2018, the School of Pharmacy welcomed Xavier and Caressa, two visiting students from Creighton University, Nebraska. The students chose to complete international pharmacy practice experiences as an elective as part of their pharmacy degrees. They are in their 4th year of pharmacy school which is comparable to our pre-registration year, as after completing 8 rotations (3 of which are electives like this one) throughout the year, they will be qualified pharmacists.
Their visit was a result of the School of Pharmacy’s partnership with Creighton University following on from my exchange visit in summer 2017 through the International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation (IPSF).
- As the host University, we wanted to make our guests experience as fulfilling as we could for all involved and arranged the following educational activities:
- The students spent time in the University of Lincoln’s facilities such as labs and lectures to be able to compare pharmacy education for themselves and give our students an insight too.
- Lincolnshire Co-operative hosted the students in two of their community pharmacies including the community pharmacy who holds the mental health contract for Lincoln.
- One week spent in Northern Lincolnshire and Goole hospital pharmacies as even though there are similarities in the role of a hospital pharmacist in the UK and the US, there are also many differences – a big difference being the absence of a National Health Service in the USA.
Both Caressa and Xavier delivered a presentation to Lincoln Pharmacy students to deliver information about what pharmacy education and the role of a pharmacist is like in the USA and also why they chose to come to the UK as their elective international placement.
In addition, our visitors also experienced the social aspect of student life and engaged in the following activities:
- Attending football matches – Cathedral cup (Bishop Grosseteste VS University of Lincoln) and Lincoln City Football Club
- Quack student night at the University’s Engine Shed music venue
- Harry Potter Studio tour, London
- BPSA conference at the University of Nottingham
- Lincoln Pharmacy Society social events
You can find out more about the School of Pharmacy online.